What types of coverage should my club have to make sure we are adequately insured?Estimated Reading Time: 2 Minutes
General liability policy minimum recommended standards
- AM Best Rating of “A” or better
- $1,000,000 each occurrence/$2,000,0000 policy aggregate
- Sexual Abuse and Molestation Coverage – Coverage for alleged or actual abuse and molestation claims
- Participant Legal Liability – Coverage for bodily injury claims arising from sports participation, including coverage for concussion/head trauma related claims
- Spectator Liability – Coverage for bodily injury claims arising from spectators
- Who Is an Insured – Includes members and supervisory staff of the ski club, officials, coaches and volunteers
- Coverage for ski and snowboard competition, training, and club activities
- U.S. Ski & Snowboard clubs that are owned or operated by a parent entity (from which insurance may be obtained) such as resort competition centers, resort-run clubs and universities, municipalities are not eligible for CLIP.
- Newly formed clubs and/or those without a 5-year loss run history
Club Liability Insurance Program (CLIP) Requirements
Membership is required for club members/participants. All club participants (board members, staff, all athletes, officials, and select volunteers) must hold a membership appropriate to their participation in club activities.
The low cost "General Member" option is available for those ages 17 and under who participate with the club but do not need a competitor’s membership or require background screening or SafeSport training.
The “Volunteer” membership is available for those turning 18 or older in a given season and is appropriate for members of the club’s Board of Directors. The “Volunteer” membership includes yearly SafeSport training and periodic background screening.
U.S. Ski & Snowboard reserves the right to deny coverage under the CLIP program to any club after reviewing the application and making a risk assessment/management decision based on several factors including but not limited to the club meeting minimum standards, prior claims, and risk history. Coverage will not be denied on the basis of race, gender and gender identity, color, sexual orientation, or religion.
In addition to a general liability policy, clubs may want to consider some or all of the coverages noted below to ensure they are adequately insured.
- Directors & Officers – Available through American Specialty through an online application process at https://americanspecialty.com/usskiandsnowboard_cov/
- Property and Casualty if owned property warrants such coverage
- Auto insurance for transporting kids, etc.