The U.S. Ski & Snowboard National Ranking List is used to rank all eligible U.S. Ski & Snowboard athletes in scored races based on the FIS point calculation (see Race Points and Calculating Penalties). Racers may obtain points by entering any races designated as U.S. Ski & Snowboard National Calendar Events or scored races. Competitors must be current competitor members of U.S. Ski & Snowboard at the time of the competition to be eligible for points and a competitor’s U.S. Ski & Snowboard number must appear on the official results in order to be scored. Minimum and maximum penalties, which may affect the points in each race, are applied based on quality and importance of the competition. Categories of races to be scored, and their corresponding minimum penalties are as follows:
Event Category - Minimum Penalty (1)
- World Cup, Olympic and World Championships - 0.00
- Continental Cup, NCAA Champs, American Birkebeiner (2), SuperTour - 20.00
- U.S. Championships - 15.00
- U23 World Championships - 25.00
- World Junior Championships - 35.00
- Junior Nationals - No min
- Regional Scored Events, NCAA Regional Events - 35.00
- U16 and younger competitions (3) - 100
- U14 and younger competitions (3) - 150
* (1): For races scored to FIS other than SuperTour, U.S. Championships, College Championships and the American Birkebeiner, the Regional penalties will be used.
* (2): Only the top-30 finishers at the American Birkebeiner will be scored.
* (3): When U16 and younger athletes are competing in a race with older athletes, the event category is based upon the older athletes
The National Ranking List is based on a racer’s four best results during the previous 12 months, which are used to determine his or her final score. Those athletes with fewer than four scored events will be penalized 22% (with a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 26 points) of their overall score. Ranking for both sprint and distance disciplines will also be calculated, using a racer’s best three results in that discipline. While the NRL is based on the FIS point calculation, it is a separate list from the FIS list. For race points and penalty calculations, please see Chapter 2 of the U.S. Ski & Snowboard Nordic Competition Guide, located in the References section.
Points List Information
To assure that your membership is processed for inclusion on any list, your membership materials must be received by U.S. Ski & Snowboard at least seven days prior to a closing date. Registrations are not considered received until they are complete. It is the athlete’s responsibility to ensure that his or her U.S. Ski & Snowboard membership registration is received; you can contact U.S. Ski & Snowboard member services (435.647.2666) to check the status of your application.
U.S. Ski & Snowboard and FIS points are not continually being updated; they are recalculated for each new list. For more information on how points are calculated, see Chapter 2 of your .S. Ski & Snowboard Nordic Competition Guide, located in the References section. Closing and Valid dates for the points list are listed above.